Thursday, August 12, 2010

I am growing.

At least, I hope I am.

Walt Disney said, "keep moving forward."

Good advice.

There is a Chinese Proverb that says,
"Be not afraid of growing slowly, be afraid only of standing still.”

More good advice.

And, if I may add to that, I heard someone say recently that, if you're not growing, you're dying.

How true.

I'm guilty of looking at people with discrete degradation sometimes, because they're not doing things the same way I am.

They're not loving the way I would.

They're not experiencing God the way I have/am.

But I'm being brought into a place where I realize everyone's walk is different. I guess I knew that before, but now I'm being humbled by it. And it has brought about a compassion for those who's walk is different. ...Which is everyone, I suppose. It's all a part of the preparation of the life we've been appointed to live, and they're all unique. I'm beginning to love that so much.


Another thing I've been learning is, I can't do this walk alone. No one can. And by my looking on someone else with misunderstanding, and thus, a bit of criticism, I'm eliminating the element which I need to do this walk right.

Community.

Companionship.

Relationship.


I used to not like it when people inspired me.

I know. I'm a mess.

Because, when people were inspiring me, it means they had preceded me in something. Thought of it before me. I wasn't as advanced in my walk.

That scared me.

But where would we be without inspiration? Without those who set an example of how to

love.

dream.

act.

make a difference.

hope.

stand firm.

persevere.

endure.

Jesus said "I only do what I see my Father do. I only say what I hear Him say."

But it also says in Proverbs, "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

The word "sharpen" here comes from the Hebrew word "Latash", which is also used in a verse in Genesis to describe, in one translation, an "instructor", or if you will, in another translation, "a forger of tools".

"to forge" means "to form with heat and hammering".


Sometimes being "sharpened" is crappy.

Heat and hammering.

But instructing at the same.

Learning.


Yes, you're being preceded by someone.

But you are proceeding someone as well.

You are the successor to the former.

Learn from them. From each other.

Walt Disney also said,

“All of the top achievers I know are life-long learners... Looking for new skills, insights, and ideas. If they're not learning, they're not growing... not moving toward excellence.”

Grow.

Be inspired.


Inspire others.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for that explanation from the Hebrew...it really spoke me to me in these intense preparation season before my move to Bugembe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessie, this is awesome! Reminds me of a blog post I just read by Donald Miller.. I'll email it to you -the iPod won't let me paste it for some reason... Love you lots and look fwd to catching up soon!! <3

    ReplyDelete