Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I went to Wal-mart today to pick up a few things. There's a Subway in the back, and I hadn't had lunch yet, so I went back there to get me some eats. There was only one guy working - a black guy, who clearly had facial features from another country. He confirmed this by asking me what kind of cheese I wanted with the thickest African-based French accent I've heard in a while (such a beautiful sound). I asked him where he was from, he said "west 'Ofreeca' ", with a bit of hesitancy. My exclamation brightened his face a bit, and we just started talking while he was making stuff.
His name is Tiane (TIA-nee), and he moved here a while ago to go to school. He's gotten his accounting degree and is going back to school, once he gets the money.

When I asked him why he came to America, he explained that there is just more opportunity here, and that by working at Subway part time, he makes 3 times more than the monthly wages of a farmer who works 14hr days in his village. He said the last job he had before he moved here was in an orphanage down the road from his house. I told him that that's what I want to GO do;move to Africa and live in an orphanage. When I said this, his face lit up, and he said "YOU? you want to go, and stay?", and a huge smile burst onto his face. He said "Many American don't know how good it is to be in this country. Some people act like it is nothing. But it is so much."

How true this is.

I didn't get a chance to ask him about his family (which I fully plan to go back and do) or a hundred other questions bouncing around in my head, because he had other customers, but he wished me a good day, as did I to him, and I left.

Tiane is just one more example of how different every person's walk is. He left where I want to be, and came to the very town in which I've lived, and would like to leave (most of the time :]).
And who knows if my conversation with him inspired or encouraged him, but I know it encouraged me. No matter that he came from there to here (he still traveled the same distance as my aspirations would take me, just in the opposite direction), he is achieving his dreams.

And he started on the wages of an orphanage worker in a poverty-stricken village. How amazing.


Never think you can't do something.

Never think you don't have enough.

And never keep your story to yourself. You may just touch and inspire someone with it.

Be thankful for the opportunity around you.

And if your calling takes you away from where you are, embrace that.

And know that what you're striving for is possible.


Take heart in the midst of your challenges today.

No comments:

Post a Comment